Looking for Something?

Loading...

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Going Camping at Silver Falls!

Hello Everyone!


Last week on April 2nd, I went to Silver Falls for camping. I was very excited because this was my first camp-out as a Boy Scout! All scouts gathered at Home Depot before departing. I was not surprised to see so many scouts there because my Troop (208) is the largest Troop in Oregon. We lined up in Patrol Lines and there I saw my friend Aman. After a few group discussions, we started on our way to North Silver Falls Camp out. Both Aman & I shared a ride with his dad. As soon as we got there, we had an assembly. After the assembly we ate lunch and the activities finally began. All the new scouts learned how to properly raise, lower, and fold the American Flag. This was a Tenderfoot requirement that I needed to get signed off. After that we started one of my favorite activities of the camp-out, Orienteering!

Orienteering is a fun sport in which participants find their way to various checkpoints with the help of a map and compass. In our camp, the troop Leaders, who were all boys (not adults), had set up an Orienteering Course in which they gave us a set of directions and how many feet it was (example: 60 degrees 350 feet leads to Marker 6). Immediately, my friend Rohan and I teamed up. First we measured how many paces was equal to 100 feet. It was 46 paces for me. Then I used a special compass that lets you go to a direction specified in degrees, such as 60 degrees or 100 degrees. At the end of the course 6, we found a treasure chest filled with Star-burst! It was so much fun!! If you want to learn more about Orienteering, here is the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering


By the end of the day I was so hungry, I could eat almost anything (vegetarian)! Since everybody was as hungry as I was, our Patrol decided it was finally time to cook dinner. Our Quarter-Master had brought supplies for casadias. I helped with setting the table and cooking the tortillas. Once refueled, we started to set up our tents. Aman and I shared my tent. It took a while but as experienced boy scouts, we finished setting the tent in no time. Soon after setting up our tents we decided to "hit the sack". We fell asleep knowing tomorrow was going to be a very busy day.


The next day, we awoke to the noise of a bugle. We got ready and went to the morning flag. Soon after, it was time for another one of my favorite activities of the Silver Falls camping trip, The 5 Mile Hike! We got our 10 essentials ( Scouting 10 Essentials ) and started the hike. Along the hike we saw scenic Falls such as the North Falls and South Falls. Near the middle of the hike we stopped to take a break. It was a good thing because by then it was lunch time and I was hungry and tired. When the hike started again I was ready. As we hiked, we learned about some interesting plants such as Sword Fern and Trillium. Trillium is a rare plant that is native to Oregon. At the end of the hike came the most important fall, we saw Silver Falls!!! But then, we noticed a big obstruction with a sign. The sign read "Silver Falls route closed due to mudslide". Our hopes sank. We had to turn around and I felt like I had a rotten luck. Since we were not going the way we planned, we took a detour up a very steep hill. By the time we got to the top of the hill, I was extremely tired. Then we headed back to our camp site and it was time to go back home.

I had a very exciting time at my Silver Falls Camping Trip. I hope you go to Silver Falls to because I had had a trip that I will never forget.

Here is a link to the Silver Falls Website: 


And a Video:

2 comments:

  1. Must be an awesome hike at Silverfalls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job describing your trip, I'm glad you enjoyed your camp out.

    ReplyDelete